Recruitment of Global Fund Senior Finance Officer
Job title: Global Fund Senior Finance Officer
Supervisor: Finance & Admin Manager
The Senior Finance officer provides support to the Finance & Admin Manager in safeguarding the assets (financial and physical) of Global Fund (GF) against fraud, loss or misuse. S/he is responsible for ensuring that any funds expended in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, NACA’s policy, and Global Fund Guidelines.
1. Understand and articulate the basic tenets of Internal Control and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and Global Fund Guidelines to other staff members.
2. Develop tools to use to train PR and SR staff in proper financial record keeping procedures and procurement integrity.
3. Lead the process of ongoing improvement of financial systems and internal controls at PR and SR levels.
4. Implement standard NACA procedures to manage and monitor the financial resources of the project office. This includes: ensuring that all payments comply with NACA rules, regulations and Global Fund Guidelines and are supported by adequate documentation.
5. Ensure accurate entry of transactions in accounting system assuring detailed memos, proper budget codes, account codes, activity and budget tracking.
6. Create journal entries, ensuring all entries are properly coded, posted to the proper budget lines/codes
7. Supports the management of petty cash, assuring all purchases are properly documented and supported, approved and comply with petty cash management policy.
8. Working in collaboration with the Finance & Admin Manager to prepare and monitor project budgets, actual expenditures, commitments and obligations.
9. Support the finances and admin manager in preparation of disbursement requests, cash needs at PR and SR levels.
10. Manage the preparation of monthly financial reports such as bank account reconciliations, cash book, Budget monitoring and variance reports, and 80/20 analysis base reports.
11. Prepare financial reports (Balance Sheet, Income and Expenditure Statement, Cash Flow) and other specialized reports for submission to Global Fund or other donor missions or agencies as required.
12. Implement internal control for purchase approval, asset use, project resources e.g., consumption of project resources such as petrol, diesel, electricity, water, telephone, office supplies, etc.
13. Ensure that all transactions are adequately supported by internal approvals and third-party supporting documents such as price quotes, purchase orders, invoices, memos shipping receipts and proof of delivery.
14. Support the FAM in the preparation for external audits, compliance reviews, LFA reviews, OIG audits and any other reviews and audit exercises that may be required
15. Ensure that the FAR at PR and SR are updated regularly, all assets are insured timely, management of disposal, service and maintenance plan.
16. Train and supervise a proactive team of staff including SRs, providing support and advice as necessary
17. Assumes responsibilities of the Finance Manager in his absence as delegated by the Finance and Admin Manager or the Project Coordinator.
18. Liaise with Procurement, Legal, technical staff etc. to obtain commitments and outstanding payments and ensure they are paid
19. Review all requests (memos) and confirm budget availability
20. Review PVs/JVs and pass to FAM for authorization and transmission to GFA
21. Support the budget revision, reprogramming process and budget flexibility processes
22. Participate in spot checks of activities and SR reviews
1. Master’s Degree in Accounting/Finance/Audit
2. ICAN or equivalent degree (CA, CPA, ACCA, CIMA, CFA, CFE, etc.) is an added advantage
3. A minimum of 7 years of practical accounting or auditing and grants management experience
4. Preferably at least 3 years’ experience working with donor funded projects (preferably Global Fund) at a senior level.
5. Ability to use modern accounting software (NAVISION preferred)
6. Effectiveness in training and coaching finance and non-finance staff in internal control policies and procedures to ensure highest standards are maintained
7. Excellent experience of budgeting and budget management
8. Excellent understanding of financial systems and procedures
9. Excellent experience of Microsoft Packages, Excel, PowerPoint and Word
10. Strong communication and interpersonal skills
11. Ability to manage a complex and diverse workload and to work to tight deadlines
12. Ability to build a proactive team, motivating staff and working collaboratively with colleagues and providing support and advice as necessary
13. Strong management, supervisory, and capacity building skills, including at least 5 years’ experience in managing teams of professional staff.
14. Strong written and verbal communication skills,
15. Ability to work independently while being a strong team player.
16. Sound knowledge of the Government of Nigeria structures (NACA) and policies relevant to the management and oversight of Global Fund programs will be an advantage.
17. Strong leadership skills and ability to respond effectively to deadlines and high-pressure situations.
18. Good understanding of budgets, financial processes and financial reporting and compliance with donor requirements.
19. Ability to work with multi-sectoral teams and produce positive results